Monday, January 07, 2013

How to replace a burner igniter on a Wolf R366 Stove

I figured it out, with some help from the parts people.

1) Remove the old igniter: The igniter is held in place by a ridge as part of the center piece that is unscrewed with an allen wrench in the center. In my stove that piece would NOT unscrew and I did not want to apply too much force, break something and require a whole new burner, which I know will be quite expensive. Separate story on that. see below

If you cannot unscrew the cap, you can use a strong a needle nose and bend the ridge to let you remove the igniter. DO NOT USE A PLIERS AROUND THE HEAD TO TRY AND TURN IT. If you do, then it will not ignite properly!

Pull the stove away from the wall, and remove the back of the stove. Follow the igniter wire and unplug it.

2) Replace the igniter and the wire: Insert the igniter, plug the other end of the wire into the same slot where you removed the old one.

3) If you had bent the ridge, tap it back with a screwdriver.

Separate Wolf Story.

Wolf is now part of the sub-zero group and they charged me $950.00 LABOR for about 1/2 hour of repair work on my sub-zero. No Parts.

It took calls up to the president to get it reduced. The common theme from all the middle  managers in my call process was: "When you buy a Mercedes, you should expect Mercedes prices". Arrogant, don't you think?

Incidentally, the Wolf R366 is an excellent stove. The heat is consistent and it holds a simmer forever.

 The fittings on the burner are very finicky and after cleaning you have to replace the parts exactly the way they were meant to be, in the appropriate grooves.

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, thanks for your post on this. I have Wolf SB366 (6 burner gas stove top) and have exact same problem trying to remove the igniter. I tried 10mm hex socket with 1.5' breaker bar, but could not get center cap to budge. I will try your pliers technique--but am frankly surprised that you were able to bend the metal ridge on center cap. Your blog post was the only thing I could find on the Internet which addresses this issue--and, believe me, I searched! - Andrew

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I replaced a stove top igniter on a 4 burner Wolf range. Used a screw driver to pry up the ledge and just gently banged it back down with a few hammer/old screw driver taps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home